Friday, April 29, 2011

Pig skin used for boob job


Claire Barrell, 35 had her breast reconstructed out of pig skin.
The Sun reported Barrell from the United Kingdom had breast cancer and needed to have her right breast removed.

She was faced with three options.

She said: "I play a lot of tennis so I really didn't want restricted movement in my shoulder and I didn't have enough flesh on my stomach to take any from there.

"I could have had silicone but I didn't want one fake boob that didn't move!

"I was told that pigs' tissue takes easily to the human body and would feel completely natural - and it does.

"Apart from one breast being a tiny bit tougher than the other, you really can't tell the difference. When I have a bra on, both cups are full - they've done an amazing job," she said.

Barrell is one of just a handful of women across the world and only the second in the UK to have had the state-of-the-art surgery, which costs the National Health Service around £35,000 (RM173,100).

The business consultant said: "I was a bit of a guinea pig because it's such a new procedure. I had about ten surgeons watching me every step of the way.

The pig skin is sent to the hospital pre-packaged from a company in America.

There is a tiny sack and a pump under the skin which is gradually inflated over a few months to get the shape and size.

Traditionally, a breast reconstruction has involved using tissue from another part of the patient's body.

But that practice is painful and leaves multiple scars.

This new surgery could provide hope for the thousands of women diagnosed with breast cancer every year.

However, the option is not available for everyone.

Claire said: "Doctors thought I was an ideal candidate because I am young and active. If your body is not in good condition it will reject the pig skin."

Source: The Sun 


Warm Regard, Sara Pandian

No comments:

Search This Blog