Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday April 2, 2011 April Fool's joke leaves Ayer Keroh rep red-faced


MALACCA: Ayer Keroh assemblyman Khoo Phoay Tiong has fallen prey to the oldest trick in the book an April Fool's joke at midnight - after he was embarrassed in a prank.
The 41-year-old, who was at home, said he had received a call from a “Datuk K” on his mobile phone from a private number at midnight.
“The caller, who claimed to be a successful businessmen, had asked for an urgent meeting as he wanted to hand over RM6,000 as donation to Japanese tsunami victims.
“He told me he was confident that his aid would reach the victims if he were to hand the money over to me,” Khoo told The Star.
He said the caller insisted on handing over the donation at a stall in Banda Hilir, and that it would be witnessed by members of the Singaporean media that very night as they had to rush back to the republic the next day.
“The Datuk' told me that there would be a Singapore-registered red Toyota Camry at the stall, and that he had parked his car behind that vehicle.
“He claimed that he and his media friends were having a drink at the stall,” Khoo said, adding that he quickly drove to the meeting point.
However, Khoo said when he reached the stall at 12.30am, a group of people seated at a table paid no attention to him although there was a red car nearby.
“After a few minutes, I decided to ask the group who, among them, wasDatuk K. They gave me funny stares as if I was insane. I only realised I was tricked when the Datuk' called again and screamed April Fool' at me,” he said.
Khoo said he had thought the call was genuine as the person gave details of the charitable work he had carried out in his constituency last month.
“These were needy cases that I had attended to and the caller could describe exactly the places that I had visited last month. So, I believed that he was telling the truth,” he said.
Khoo said he then left the stall, feeling both frustrated and annoyed that he had lost sleep over the call.
“I admit that I was probably overzealous upon hearing that the Singapore media was going to give me coverage and even forgot that it was April Fool's Day,” he said.



Warm Regard, Sara Pandian

No comments:

Search This Blog